Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thank You

Thank you are two simple words that when put together can have a big impact. At the end of this holiday celebrating our independence - and all of the freedoms we enjoy daily - it seems almost too simple to just say "thank you".

However, that is what I want to say today:

THANK YOU

Thank you to those that have served our country. Thank you to those that are currently serving. Thank you for your commitment, your dedication, and for sharing your time and talent for the benefit of our country and for those around the world. Thank you to the families of those serving and of those that have served. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed and you too are serving our country with commitment and dedication.

My Grandpa Crosby was a WWII veteran and very patriotic. I think about him and miss him a little more each patriotic holiday.

Today I ran the Run for Liberty 5K and as I was thanking the course volunteers throughout the race, some of them thanked me for running. I responded with my favorite, "Chick-fil-A-ism": "my pleasure" and I got to thinking. These brief exchanges of gratitude could have a big impact on someone's day, and likely positively impact many people. It was hot this morning, no shade on the course and barely a breeze. I am sure many volunteers were thinking that they didn't have to be there this morning and were distracted and overwhelmed by the heat. My hope is that my thanking them as I ran by let them know how much their time and presence means to the runners. Hopefully that gave them some added motivation and energy to cheer for the runners and walkers behind me. Maybe that gave another runner or walker - or a handful of them- the encouragement they needed to stay the course, to keep going, to finish strong.

We choose our attitude and I have often said that is our most important decision, therefore we should choose wisely. I choose an attitude of gratitude and I hope my choice will let people know that I notice what they are doing and that they will keep doing their best, even when they think no one else notices.

Just maybe putting together two simple words
thank + you
will have more than a simple impact. We won't know unless we try. Join me in saying "thank you" to those around us - especially those who are just doing their job or that may otherwise go unnoticed.

I thank you for reading my blog, for your support during my training and for your donations to support finding a cure for those living with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment